Sunday, September 14, 2008

Hello

September 14

This week has been one of large challenges, many tears and victories.
God is so good!!! I stated of Monday with my class of three boys, on my porch. Some how by the end of the day I went from three to six. Now I have three boys and three girls. What a fun time we have been having!! My goal is to play hard, in hopes that they all sleep after lunch. We kicked clubs off this week with cooking club. What a great time we had, the kids love to cook. We made spaghetti. I led art club tonight, and we learned how to draw animals. So fun! Please keep theses kids in your prayers. As I have gotten closer to the kids some have opened up to me and shared some of their life. I am so broken hearted to hear what these young kids have been through and seen. We have faced a great challenge in schooling. A lot of the kids can not read and have a hard time doing homework. So Lindsay and I have been making ourselves available in the afternoon for any kids who need help. I had no idea that so many of the kids are so far behind. Some kids that should be in HS are only in 2nd grade, and are really struggling. One of the girls was really having a hard time with math, so we worked and worked and finally it clicked!! She was happy and so was I. The teachers don’t help the kids understand, and so the kids are not really learning. Lindsay and I are gaining a lot more confidence in going out by ourselves. Yesterday we went to an open market, walked around and bought some food. Today we made the long trek to Accra for the street ministry. The street ministry is where Haven of Hope kids come from. The kids whose parents have died or are no longer being taken care of on the street, come to HH. I have never seen poverty and hunger like this. When we arrive we are instantly swarmed with kids. I had kids holding each one of my fingers. We give a short message with a story from the Bible, and then feed the kids. We have been so blessed. I don’t really know what to feel sometimes. I have no running water sometimes and not a great variety of food, but yet I have soo much compared to them. I have nothing to complain about. I am blessed to have a roof and a bed. Well I love you all and am so thankful for all your prayers. God bless you all!!!

No comments: